Friday, February 24, 2012

Jeb Bush finds Republican debates ‘a little troubling’

 at 09:37 AM ET, 02/24/2012
A man whom many Republicans hoped would run for president is worried about the GOP primary field.

Former Florida governor Jeb Bush is voicing concern about the GOP field. 
(Wilfredo Lee - AP)
“I used to be a conservative and I watch these debates and I’m wondering, I don’t think I’ve changed, but it’s a little troubling sometimes when people are appealing to people’s fears and emotion rather than trying to get them to look over the horizon for a broader perspective and that’s kind of where we are,” former Florida governor Jeb Bush said in a Dallas speech Thursday, Fox News reported. “I think it changes when we get to the general election. I hope.”
In an interview with CBS News after the event, Bush added, “I think it’s important for the candidates to recognize they have to appeal to primary voters, and not turn off independent voters that will be part of a winning coalition.”
Asked about his comments, Bush told The Fix, “I am a conservative and I think we should be offering a compelling, optimistic vision and plan to deal with our structural problems as a nation.” Bush has previously warned Republican candidates to adjust their “tone” on immigration policy specifically. But his comments Thursday suggest a broader concern.




No comments:

Post a Comment